M.L.C.A. History – 1956-57
In 1956 Ray Chabot was elected President. His year saw a revival of the “Detroit Times” novice field dog trials and a Sportsmans Outdoorama. The bowling committee is sponsoring the activity. His term is seeing the fulfillment of a long and old dream, a good big practical kitchen and more modern bar equipment and additional space. Many months has Ray to go and we all look forward to a bigger and more prosperous club under his guidance.
Despite the serious business of finishing the new addition to the club house, activities and functions continued, such as a fox hunt in February; a brouse—cutting trip to the north country; Michigan Rifle Associations sectional NRA shoot at MLCA; first “Outdoorama”, featuring the Detroit Times Novice Dog Trials; by-laws amendment granting life membership to all past presidents; planting of 500 legal-sized trout in Reed Lake; planting of 500 pines and 250 multi-flora rose bushes on club grounds; establishment of the official club shirt, blue with gold lettering; little-league organized under club sponsorship and ball diamond put in shape per league rules. These, along with the many annual functions that are looked forward to every year, made up a fairly busy year that added a fair amount of cash needed in a depleting treasury.
In 1957 Ray was re-elected as President, and he continued in the same vein. The kitchen was equipped and the bar was furnished. We sponsored two teams in the Little League, and the first team tied for first place at the end of the first half of the season. Walks were installed on the Trap range, and stations built on the skeet field. Harold Smith was appointed as Chairman of the Grounds Committee, and he has done a tremendous job. Al Dixon is promoting another Outdoorama which promises to be much bigger and better. Things on the agenda include lighting the Skeet and Trap ranges; a bigger and better fish fry; added plumbing in the bar. In all this promises to be another banner year for Multi-Lakes. Weldon Payne was appointed as Chairman of the M.U.C.C. Annual Award Committee and turned in a superlative effort, not only in the state but here in our own club. Multi-Lakes ranked second in the amount of sales for all clubs. We established a Blood Bank. The Red Cross Bloodmobile visited our club on July 2 and the personnel was highly pleased when 79 donors contributed.
Increased activity in committee functions in 1957 necessitated the spending of additional funds for the revamping of the archery range to allow the committee to hold registered shoots. The little— league had to have a farm club and the rifle committee instigated the purchase of MoSkeet-O traps and guns. Of course all monies spent were good investments.
The second “Outdoorama” was staged at MLCA Aug. 17- 18, a Club function that was gaining wide recognition as being of great value in educating the public in conservation and good, healthy outdoor activities.
Also worthy of note in 1957 were:
– The establishment of a blood bank.
– The start of pot—luck dinners in honor of the workers of the committees.
– Sportsmen and farmers “talk it out” at MLCA club house and strive for better relations.
– First Ladies night at a regular general meeting.
– Club members were invited to instruct boys camp at Proud Lake.